This blog is a way friends and family can keep track and share my journey into bicycle touring as well as my journey thru life by the grace that can only come from God the Father thru His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

HELP SUPPORT BIBLES FOR THE WORLD

If you would like to make a contribution to Bibles For The World just make out a check addressed to Bibles For The World and send it to: Bibles For The World, PO Box 49759, Colorado Springs, CO. 80949. You will receive a receipt in the mail from BFTW since it is tax deductable.



Thank you so much for your support and prayers in helping to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
You may also visit them online at http://www.bftw.org/.
Check out Manna For The Journey / Bibles For The World - The Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFLaanIsTx8 Thanks for watching!

Monday, September 13, 2010

DAY EIGHT - WHAT A MESS

The day started out rainy so I was prepared with my rain gear on but it was also very, very foggy. I had my front lights and rear blinky going until about 11:00. About eight miles up the road I approached Riskin and they had a thirteen mile work zone going. I got thru the first three ok but when I got to the last flagger I couldn’t believe what the road looked like. I asked him how far it went and he hung his head and said sorry, but I had about 10 miles of it. Until I show you the picture you’ll have to take my word for it but it looked like a rumble strip road….and not even a good one. Kind of like it had been cluster bombed.

So, I just started down it. Actually, I rode a ways in the wrong lane because it was not tore up. That lasted about one mile before they both were that way. I could only run about 6 miles per hour because any faster and the panniers where trying to come off and it was about to shake my teeth out.

I finally made it to smoother pavement and had a cross wind for a few miles before I turned back west and had a slight tail wind. Other than that it was just a peddle for peddle day. I took a picture of a dead snake the a little further up the road I saw a bigger one. It was strung out about half way across my lane. I stopped to take a picture but this one was alive and headed for the grass, too fast for a pic. Within about a few hundred feet a Whitetail doe came flying out from my side and crossed the road at full speed. Glad I wasn’t a tad bit faster or we would have collided.

I made it to Red Cloud, found the Subway and had my usual. I wanted to do some blog updates but they did not have Wifi. I got to Franklin and found the nice park and set my tent up under the pavilion. The library is right behind me but I could not get a Wifi unless I sat in front of it. I had just enough time to post a few days updates without pictures before the mosquitoes attacked. I’m now typing this up in the security of my tent.

Tomorrows destination – Cambridge, NE.
Ice Cream flavor today – Butter Pecan
Miles today - 70

No comments:

Post a Comment