This blog is a way friends and family can keep track and share my journey into bicycle touring as well as my journey thru life by the grace that can only come from God the Father thru His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

HELP SUPPORT BIBLES FOR THE WORLD

If you would like to make a contribution to Bibles For The World just make out a check addressed to Bibles For The World and send it to: Bibles For The World, PO Box 49759, Colorado Springs, CO. 80949. You will receive a receipt in the mail from BFTW since it is tax deductable.



Thank you so much for your support and prayers in helping to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
You may also visit them online at http://www.bftw.org/.
Check out Manna For The Journey / Bibles For The World - The Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFLaanIsTx8 Thanks for watching!

Friday, August 20, 2010

LITTLE BOATS MUST KEEP THE SHORE, LARGER SHIPS MAY VENTURE MORE - THE CARGO LIST


Usually, in the biking journals that I have read, they make a long list of all the paraphernalia that they carry on the trip. I’ll spare you all the minor details. I’ll just highlight a few of the major items and let the pictures do the talking. I’m sure that what I think I need and what I really need are two different lists. I may have to mail some stuff back home but time will tell.

As I was trying to pack all the gear in my panniers my youngest daughter walked by and asked if all that stuff was going with me. I said yes, I hoped so. She couldn’t believe it would all fit on the bike. Well, I’ve had it all packed and traveled with it before so it should all fit again. I’ve altered a few items since my maiden voyage but not a lot.

My front left pannier will be my kitchen, filled with food stuffs and my stove. I actually should have enough food to last me for about three days if needed. Of course, the weight of that pannier will increase and decrease depending on how often I resupply and how much I eat out of it.

The front right pannier will be my office, carrying my netbook, full fingered gloves (to help pad the netbook), collapsible dishes and possibly anything else that may overflow from the other panniers.

The right rear pannier will be my closet which will have all my clothes in it. Probably, too many clothes actually. Also, some zip ties, camp soap and a couple tire tubes.

The left rear pannier is the junk room. It will have everything else that won’t go into the other three bags. I’ll have some lights, toiletries, bike repair kit, shaver, spare water bottle, flip flops, pain killer (ah, that would be ibuprofen), first aid kit (that would contain band-aids, stretcher, wheelchair, lots of chocolate, Daisy my Basset) and other misc. stuff.

On top the rear rack I’ll lash down my tent, air mattress, pillow, bike fly, rain poncho, camp chair & mattress seat. Each of the rear panniers will have a water bottle in their rear pockets and rain covers in their attic. One of the rear panniers will have my rubber sandals hanging from it (kind of a rear bumper in case anyone gets too close).

The handlebar bag will house my tracts, BFTW brochures, digital camera, Bible, maps, Propel pouches, snack bars, sunglasses, pens, notebook and rain cover.
I have a small top tube pannier that will carry my rear tail light, knife, HALT spray, lip balm, phone & mp3 player.

On my person I’ll have a small, belly bag I guess you’d call it, that I’ll keep my wallet, journal, loose change and some tracts in. (I might not carry this depending on how my next test ride goes.)

Lastly, the Pilgrim, along with all the luggage plus myself, will be laden with a tire pump, one 24 oz. water bottle, a one and a half liter water bottle, rear mirror, a small seat bag for a multi-tool and tire gauge, two spare spokes, a computer, bell, two headlights, one taillight, a cable lock, an air horn and…..my sleeping bag on the front rack.

I’m sure I’ll be sorry I have some of this stuff, especially while climbing a tall hill, but hopefully I can put it all to good use. I pray I won’t run into any ill winds named Euroclydon during my trip as Paul did before he was shipped wrecked on his way to Rome. I’d hate to have to start throwing the freight overboard or casting off my tackle just to make headway.

I believe, as a Christian, that the closer I am to God and the more I meditate on His Word and study to grow more complete and mature in my walk with Him, that He will give me more responsibility and more opportunities to fulfill His purposes. If I am content with my relationship with Him and never do much to try and get to know Him more and His ways then I’ll be like that little boat and never venture out any further than I have to on the seas of life.

But, the more I get to know God and understand His ways and His hatred for sin; the more I understand the importance of obeying, following and submitting to His will and not my own. I can venture out further on life’s seas, even when the storms come, with the assurance that He is with me and leading me thru His righteousness. I have nothing to fear.

See, it all fit. I’m ready to go!

Colossians 1:10-17, "That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and long-suffering with joyfulness;
Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Who is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of every creature:
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him. and for him:
And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha, I am sure Daisy would love to go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think her little legs could take it Doug.

    ReplyDelete