This blog is a way friends and family can keep track and share my journey into bicycle touring as well as my journey thru life by the grace that can only come from God the Father thru His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

HELP SUPPORT BIBLES FOR THE WORLD

If you would like to make a contribution to Bibles For The World just make out a check addressed to Bibles For The World and send it to: Bibles For The World, PO Box 49759, Colorado Springs, CO. 80949. You will receive a receipt in the mail from BFTW since it is tax deductable.



Thank you so much for your support and prayers in helping to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
You may also visit them online at http://www.bftw.org/.
Check out Manna For The Journey / Bibles For The World - The Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFLaanIsTx8 Thanks for watching!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Joys of Training


Training for anything can be fun, but, it can also be a pain….literally. My intent was to be riding the bike I had set up on rollers all thru the winter months. It didn’t happen. So, I actually didn’t get started until my birthday on Mar. 17th.

Because of my work schedule it’s hard to get out on the road except on the weekends. I usually try to do a long ride on Saturday and then a shorter ride between church services on Sunday afternoon. Thru the week I’ll try and be on the rollers at least three nights.

The roads I train on have a good supply of rolling hills and smooth roads. But, they are lacking shoulders. It’s pretty tough riding with traffic when you don’t have decent shoulders. There are a lot of oil-chipped roads around too. I don’t mind riding on them with my touring bike but I’m not too keen on using my road bike on them. The touring bike has a lot more absorption and comfort.

I think the bottom line is to get in shape. I need to get my legs strengthened to handle those 75-100 mile days plus the higher elevations in Colorado. I’m blessed to have a good variety of different types of roads within riding distance from my home. If I need steep hills, I got ‘em. If I need smooth flats with headwinds, I got ‘em. If I need a series of rolling hills, they’re there. If I need gravel roads…..wait, I never need those! Mountains? An old friend took me riding thru the hills south of Glasgow the other day. At the time they seemed like mountains! I even had to walk part way up one. Now I have a new objective!

At this point I’ve got a little over four months to prepare myself physically, so, I have to be disciplined in doing that. It’s the same way with growing in the Lord. A Christian has to be disciplined in studying their Bible everyday and to be in a prayerful attitude all day. A commitment to service and obedience is important to, not only to their growth, but to the growth, encouragement and well being of their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Trusting in God takes discipline and determination. A healthy fear of God is equally important.

Proverbs 3:5-8 says, “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.”

To do this tour I need to be fit and in shape. I need to be healthy and strong internally as well as externally. The next four plus months are going to be very busy and hard on me and, if the training doesn’t kill me, I pray I’ll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment