This blog is a way friends and family can keep track and share my journey into bicycle touring as well as my journey thru life by the grace that can only come from God the Father thru His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

HELP SUPPORT BIBLES FOR THE WORLD

If you would like to make a contribution to Bibles For The World just make out a check addressed to Bibles For The World and send it to: Bibles For The World, PO Box 49759, Colorado Springs, CO. 80949. You will receive a receipt in the mail from BFTW since it is tax deductable.



Thank you so much for your support and prayers in helping to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
You may also visit them online at http://www.bftw.org/.
Check out Manna For The Journey / Bibles For The World - The Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFLaanIsTx8 Thanks for watching!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Commemorating the 50th.....


This year I turned 50 years old and, since my memory will be worse than ever now, I felt I needed a way to commemorate this milestone. So….. I’m going for a 2000 mile bike ride. I started planning the tour a couple years ago, not actually knowing whether it was possible to do or not. I got the approval from my employer for my vacation time and, more importantly, I got the approval from my wife Pat.

The plan is to ride a large loop from my home in Illinois, into northern Missouri, veering up into southern Nebraska, then drop down into Colorado to the home of my Aunt and Uncle who live in Lone Tree, south side of Denver. I’ll then visit Colorado Springs and the office of Bibles For The World (more about them later). Then I’ll continue south to Canon City and visit a long time friend. After this I’ll head east towards home. I’ll head into Kansas and ride on the Trans Am bicycle route and maybe pick up the Santa Fe Trail. After a short ways on them I’ll cross into mid Missouri and get on the Katy Trail and ride its entire 225 mile length to Old St. Charles. Then it will be just a day’s ride on home. I’ll start the trip on Friday Sept. 3rd and plan to be back no later than Oct. 3rd (if possible).

I plan to tent camp the entire tour, unless severe weather would drive me indoors. When not staying overnight with friends or family I’ll be in city parks, firehouses, churches and campgrounds. Stealth camping may happen a few times as well.

At this time, I will be going solo, unless someone between now and start time volunteers to go along. You’re only as fast as your slowest rider and, since I’m on a tight time schedule, I’ll not have a lot of time to stop and sight see. I also won’t take time for rest days until I reach my relatives house and later my friends home. I also think it’s easier for me to plan this trip by myself and if I mess up some way, I’m the only one to blame.

I hope you’ll frequent my blog to follow along with my training and preparations and then the tour itself. Please feel free to leave comments, greetings and suggestions. Please forgive any typing errors. I would love to hear from you. I will also covet your prayers throughout the year as I embark on this adventure. I know it will fill me with many memories, some good and probably some….not so good. But, that’s part of the journey and adventure.

6 comments:

  1. Mark, I am looking forward to tracking your progress on this journey. Do you have a projected start date yet? - Doug M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, just noticed the start dates in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Doug, How ya doin? Any chance you can come with me??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I wish I could. I have wanted to do this for a long time. I have 3 weeks of vacation in July, but I think Stacy has other plans for that. I recently bought a cross bike that I plan on racing a little bit this year. I am currently using it as a commuter to and from work, and it is FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam showed me a picture of it off Facebook. I'd love to have a cross bike but would never be able to race it at my age! I hope you do well. Let's do the Katy again this year sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I would love to do some of the Katy. Let me know if you will be down my way doing training rides.

    ReplyDelete