This blog is a way friends and family can keep track and share my journey into bicycle touring as well as my journey thru life by the grace that can only come from God the Father thru His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

HELP SUPPORT BIBLES FOR THE WORLD

If you would like to make a contribution to Bibles For The World just make out a check addressed to Bibles For The World and send it to: Bibles For The World, PO Box 49759, Colorado Springs, CO. 80949. You will receive a receipt in the mail from BFTW since it is tax deductable.



Thank you so much for your support and prayers in helping to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
You may also visit them online at http://www.bftw.org/.
Check out Manna For The Journey / Bibles For The World - The Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFLaanIsTx8 Thanks for watching!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Beginning...


My first experience in bicycle touring was back in August of 2005 when my friend Steve Ford and I went on a 78 mile test ride of the Katy Trail from Old St. Charles, MO. on westward towards Sedalia. We were planning a multiday trip the next month but wanted to check out some places to spend the night and the services along the way. After turning around to head back, a bad storm headed our way. The temperature dropped, the rain and hail began, the winds became fierce, the lightning cracked, tree branches were falling and the trail became like cold oatmeal. We felt pretty helpless standing in the middle of the trail while the brunt of the storm passed. We couldn’t have jumped in the nearby Missouri River and been any wetter.

We were able to make it back even though a tornado had passed thru and left some trail damage in its wake. Parts of Old St. Charles were left without power. Some trees were down across the trail. It was a great adventure and one I’ll never forget.

A few weeks later, the anticipated trip day arrived. We only spent one night camped on the trail at a bike shop at Marthasville but it was a great experience and one that I have longed to do again. The weather was much better and we got to visit with many people along the trail. A good time was had by Steve and I both.

My love for bike riding goes back to when I was first able to ride a bike, around age 5. I didn't lose the training wheels until around age 7 though. I rode quite a bit from that age on thru high school. Once I was able to purchase my first car though, my bike riding days took a back seat. And once I got married those days moved from the back seat to the trunk. There never seemed to be time or much of an interest after I could drive. I think I rode my bike to work once in a while but that was not far, only about a block away.

That long lost love was renewed back in 2003 when my wife asked me if I’d be interested in going on a bike ride with some of our church friends down on the Katy Trail. She never knew the impact that question would have on me. If she did, she probably would never have asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment